Re: [Amps] Tube cooling

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tube cooling
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 18:09:09 -0400

On 8/16/2010 4:27 PM, Rob Atkinson wrote:
> The dissipation spec for a tube is what it is.  cooling doesn't change
> it.  Cooling matters for the pin seals.
That's not quite true for external anode tubes that require a specific
air flow for a given dissipation.  Replace the anode radiator with water
cooling and it's even higher...with some limitations such as cathode
emission. IOW if the tube goes into saturation no amount of extra
cooling is going to give the ability to run more power although it will
make the tube run cooler.But if it has the emission capability you can
increase the plate dissipation until you reach saturation, even if you
have to resort to water.  Ultimate dissipation also depends on the tube
design and whether it uses thoriated tungsten or indirectly heated,
oxide coated cathodes.

Often the emission capability of the cathode is as much a limiting
factor as the plate conditions.
However if you take a tube like the YC156/3CX5000A7 is really not a true
3CX5000A7. It us a 3CX15000A in a 3CX5000A package in that tube the
ultimate power is quite dependent on the amount of cooling.

73

Roger (K8RI)