Re: [Amps] Can I cool too much the tubes or ants?

To: "Glen Zook" <gzook@yahoo.com>, <amps@contesting.com>, "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Can I cool too much the tubes or ants?
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 12:19:48 -0400
The military can get away with anything they want.

In 1960 I was at NAS Olathe KS were a ham station was set up in a small
section of a former WW2 hangar. The normally used equipment was a 75A3, 32V3
and a modified BC-610. The antennas were a 6 eL 20 and 15M Telrex on a
platform above the hangar, about 90' AGL.

Since this was an all services facility we did a lot of phone patch traffic
and this was still at the Cycle 19 peak years. SSB was starting to gain
serious traction on 20M and at times deliberate QRM happened. When that
happened it took about 5 minutes to fire up and interconnect the 5KW surplus
amp, a pair of 1500T's modulated by 1000T's; this resulted in a clear
frequency (-;

At the other end the military station in Libya would often be running
traffic to us running about 750W  (T-368 maybe?) into a rhombic and
sometimes kicking in the 5000W amp. When that didnt clear a hole the 50KW
stage was kicked in.It didnt take long for the QRMers to realize that when
that station was on they didnt stand a chance.

A year or so later I got a chance to visit and operate the MARS facility
there whenever the ship pulled into Tripoli, it was S Line SSB then and no
longer shared the "big rig" used by military comms, CIA, etc.

Carl
KM1H