Re: [Amps] RG-393 source

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] RG-393 source
From: "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 16:33:47 +0100
On 09/13/10 03:01 PM, Donald Fox wrote:
> Guys:
>
> Thanks for replies and info so far.
>
> Please recall that RG-393 is the RG-8 sized PTFE cable, and not the smaller
> RG-58 equivalent which is RG-142.
>
> While it looks like the smaller cable would handle 2KW at 144 mhz, I would
> prefer the bigger stuff if I can find it.
>
> Davis RF does have some, and will part with it for ~$5 a foot with a minimum
> order of 10 feet.
>
> Amplifier content: I will use some of this for the output section in my Henry
> 3002A.
>
>                                              Don

There's also some "air spaced" cables that have very high RF power handling.
There not a lot of support of the inner conductor to the outer conductor. I
forget what they call the stuff, but PTFE insulation is not the only way to get
high power.

If you only need a couple of feet, I'd contact a manufacturer and ask for a
sample. That's how I got the coax I am talking about. Can't think what its
called though.

Dave