Re: [Amps] Possible issue with B- run in wire with less than HV rating?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Possible issue with B- run in wire with less than HV rating? (Separate HV PSU and RF decks)
From: Carl Clawson <carlclawson@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 10:28:40 -0700
Hi Marius,

Your scenario can happen. I recently saw B- arcing to the chassis through
the insulation on low voltage wiring in an LK500-ZB amplifier. It had
suffered an HV arc during which the grid meter shunt resistor blew open.
This resistor was the only thing holding B- near ground, so it could now
float downwards to a dangerous value. An unwary person trying to probe the
low voltage end of things in this situation could get a nasty surprise.

This is why one of the recent topics on the reflector has been the use of a
stout diode from B- to ground, so that in case of a fault B- can't go far
below ground.

73, Carl WS7L