Re: [Amps] Any experiences with "powergridtube"? (YC156 hunt)

To: AMPS <amps@contesting.com>, audioguy@charter.net
Subject: Re: [Amps] Any experiences with "powergridtube"? (YC156 hunt)
From: DAVE WHITE <mausoptik@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 19:00:26 +0000 (GMT)
I've not come across that seller before.  Does he mean $550 per tube?  Also
he's stated that you may not get the one in the advertisement, so although the
picture is of a new looking one, you may get a blackened and half-melted dud in
the worst case scenario - though I'd hope to have a bit more faith in human
nature than that...

Just Goolging to find out a bit more about that tube, I saw this
http://www.directivesystems.com/YC156.htm

...which seems like a nice, neat bit of construction.  19dB gain from a
triode?  Strewth.  Would that be a bit of a beast to hold down in a multiband
amp?

Price-wise, since I just paid GBP200 (about $280) each for a couple of new
though rather old stock Eimac 3CX3000F7s I think $550 may be a little steep,
though I've never bought a YC156 so don't really know.  Still, it looks like
one hell of a tube for the money

Hope this helps.

Oh, and "flame wars"  ?? on this group?  Ahem <cough> surely not....

Dave G0OIL