Re: [Amps] Skin depth: silver plating of tank circuit coil feasible with

To: LB3HC <rezycle.bin@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Skin depth: silver plating of tank circuit coil feasible with chemical plating kits?
From: "Mike McCarthy, W1NR" <lists@w1nr.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2010 08:06:14 -0400
The primary reason for silver plate, and that includes connectors, is
that silver oxide is a much better conductor of RF than copper oxide.
Therefore, the silver coating doesn't conduct much of the RF but
prevents the resistive copper oxides from forming. Therefore, polishing
the copper and then silver plating to seal it gives you a long lasting
low resistance tank coil. I suppose that a tin dip would probably be
close to as good as silver at a lot less money.

I don't use the kits. Rather, I take the coils to a local industrial plater.

Mike, W1NR