Re: [Amps] OT Ebay Bidding - Auto Bid

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] OT Ebay Bidding - Auto Bid
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 19:59:50 -0400

On 10/8/2010 7:46 PM, TexasRF@aol.com wrote:
> So, the answer is bid the maximum you are willing to pay and let the system
>   protect you. Let the fools/snipers pay $100 more than it is worth.
>
> I have on a couple of occasions been outbid only to have the winning bidder
>   claim he mistakenly placed his bid and I ended up with the item at a very
> reasonable price.
There is a bit of a problem with this and it's not uncommon.  If you are
the winning bidder and the level is not what the seller would like AND
the prices less than your maximum bit, "some one" will bid high enough
to win. Then they retract the bid saying they made a mistake and bid the
wrong amount. The way e-bay is set up the price does not revert to what
it was before they bid, but rather to your maximum bid.  It's an easy
way for them to push the bid up to your maximum.  I've had that happen,
but fortunately it only cost me a few dollars. OTOH it can at times cost
substantially. True you were willing to go that high (if necessary) but
the seller though a proxy bidder pushed the price up quite a bit higher
than you would have had to pay.  The price should really revert to the
previous bid, but doesn't.

I have no problem with the sniping as your auto bid or max will take
care of outbidding all but those who actually bid more than you are
willing to go.

73

Roger (K8RI)