Re: [Amps] New Design Question

To: dezrat1242@yahoo.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] New Design Question
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 13:09:07 EDT
Bill, I was thinking the nominal 50 ohm value was derived from the  time
varying elements of the cathode voltage and current over the drive  cycle.

It occurred to me that I can easily test this idea on an existing 70cm
amplifier that I already know has a matched input. The only effort required is
to leave the hv off, stay in standby to kill the screen voltage and disable
the  grid bias with a clip lead. Then I can simply measure the return loss
with drive  from a signal generator and observe the grid current.

I will report any findings.

73, Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 10/20/2010 11:07:30 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
dezrat1242@yahoo.com writes:

ORIGINAL  MESSAGE:

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 10:58:11 EDT, TexasRF@aol.com  wrote:

>Any comments and criticism will be cheerfully  accepted. I don't mind
>octagonal wheels so much, just don't want  square ones!

REPLY:

I don't think you would be successful with  only grid current flowing. In
a grounded grid circuit, a large part of the  input impedance is created
by "modulating" the cathode current. Take that  away and the impedance of
the grid alone is going to be way off.

I  think a better approach would be to use a carbon comp 51 ohm 1/2  watt
resistor temporarily tacked from cathode to ground right at the  tube
socket, and then (with the tube in place but no power applied) using  a
SWR analyzer such as one of the MJF VHF types to rune the input  circuit.
I realize at that frequency the reactance of the resistor's leads  is
going to be slightly different from what the tube alone would be but  I
think with very short leads you can come close enough.

Good luck  and let us know how it comes out.

73, Bill  W6WRT