Re: [Amps] Do you think he'll get it?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Do you think he'll get it?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 20:39:54 -0400

On 10/30/2010 6:05 PM, Jeff Blaine wrote:
> Paul,
>
> Low 2's and in this condition? wish I had heard that before picking up my
> A76pa.  But once you get over this $2's point, you start
> running into the new Ameritron at $3K discussion.  Finding Alphas in this
> condition seems a tough demand to start with.  You must
> have much better luck!
I picked up a 76A some years back that looks almost new some years back
and even in very good shape they seems to be presently running no more
than a $1000 to $1200 for a mint 3 holer and often less.
> I got a good deal (knew the owner) for that amp but found shopping around
> that guys are paying $1500 for the A76pa in top condition.
I haven't seen many going for that on e-bay.  The ones with the initial
bid of $1200 or higher just seem to set there with no bids.
> With SB220's bringing about $800 on ebay so that made sense.
>
> The downside of these amps is the tubes which are hard to come by unless you
> are Carl :)  But with the ready option of retubing iwth
> 3cx800 pulls for $500 or so,
You still have to shoehorn in a filament transformer and remember not to
cook the HV transformer by driving the 3CX or 3CPX800s to their maximum
plate current.  To me, mounting the new filament transformer on the back
of the amp is not an option. You can get a plate transformer with the
higher voltage and proper filament winding, but the amp conversion just
got a lot more expensive.
>   and considering that the service life of a 8874 may outlast the next owner
> given decent grid drive
> care, I don't know that concern is a real worry.
>
> Seems to me this amp should fetch more giving it's pre-tune feature.  I have
> done some work with the owner (Scott) on his 2K - and I
They are a nice amp, but few would pay more than about $1500 for one but
there are exceptions. OTOH there may be one of those exceptions out
there looking for just what he has as it is a beautiful example.

There are a nice amp, but they are also incomplete for today's ham and
ham bands.  If a ham can afford to pay over $2700 for an out-of-date
amp, no mater how nice, they likely can afford to purchase a new amp
with all bands, QSK, and enough overhead to run digital 24 X 7.

73

Roger (K8RI)