Re: [Amps] our amplifier in 2010 CQWW

To: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] our amplifier in 2010 CQWW
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 13:52:16 -0500
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
To: <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 1:06 PM

On 11/9/2010 9:49 AM, Jeff Blaine wrote:
> Very nice antenna.  Wow...
>
> And the comment about wide band use in contests - does not make sense to
> me.  It seems that's not a power issue per se, it's a
> clipping issue.
>
> Assuming no receiver-end overloading, a 1KW and a 10KW clean signal should
> occupy the same bandwidth in an absolute sense.  Right?
>
> High power is not the cause of splatter.  Overdrive to the point of
> non-linear operation at ANY given power level is the cause of
> splatter.
>
> Then again, maybe I don't understand the dynamics of the amp in a real
> contest station.  :)
>
> 73, Jeff ACØC
> www.ac0c.com

That is a good observation, Jeff. It is quite easy to make a 500 watt
amp splatter up and down the band, whereas a clean 10KW amp would not be
noticed.

Breaking the rules of a contest is cheating by definition. Some
participants feel that cheating is okay (like doping in the Tour de
France). I know from firsthand accounts that a number of top tier
contesters in the USA do abide by the 1500 watt limit and still produce
competitive results including numerous #1 finishes.

My observation from CQ WW SSB is that B7P needs to focus on their low
band receiving capability if they want to improve their score.

73, Mike W4EF.................

That is how the seriously QRO stations on 75 and elsewhere stay under the
radar. Super clean signals, no bragging and minimal ON time. A few are right
on this forum.

Carl
KM1H