Re: [Amps] Blower Source

To: sub1@rogerhalstead.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Blower Source
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 06:37:21 EST
Hi Roger, to me, hefty means it can be picked up by hand but elicits a
"grunt" in the process.

Ameritron's largest transformer is used in the AL82/1200/1500  amplifiers.
My AL1500 6m amplifier has a self contained Dahl  Hypersil transformer that
weighs about 30 pounds or so. It will  run the 8877 all day long at 1500w
out on cw with no problem.

The complete amplifier weighs close to 80 pounds and is just about the
limit for what I can handle unassisted. Other homebrew amplifiers for VHF weigh
 even more and need repackaging to have the power supply in a separate
cabinet

Beyond this, transformers will move into the ultra hefty category,
requiring a really firm grip and a more emphatic "gruuuunt" and mumblings about
bear's backside anatomy. This is my personal limit as there is no room  for
an engine hoist in my shack!

Considering that some tubes we use have handles, maybe we need transformers
 with handles (and wheels) as well!

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 11/14/2010 1:51:00 A.M. Central Standard Time,
sub1@rogerhalstead.com writes:

On  11/13/2010 12:31 PM, TexasRF@aol.com wrote:
> And usually at better  prices as well. Check the price of a hefty plate
> transformer for  example.

I dindn't know they had anything big  enough to be called hefty. <:-))
But they are a good source for  parts.

73

Roger (K8RI)
> 73,
> Gerald  K5GW
>

> In a message dated 11/13/2010 9:22:07  A.M. Central Standard Time,
> km1h@jeremy.mv.com writes:
>
>  Way too  few realize that Ameritron is a major source of parts to all.
It