Re: [Amps] Replacement of Collins bulbs in the 30S-1 amplifier (and othe

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Replacement of Collins bulbs in the 30S-1 amplifier (and other Collins)
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 19:44:10 -0500
Joel,

That's a real concern on filaments as well.  My utility line voltage runs
about 252 VAC.   On my Alpha 77Dx, I ended up installing a bifilar filament
choke, even through the cathode and filament are not tied together (e.g.,
Ameritron AL-500).  The older Alphas were designed in an era when utility
voltage was about 5% less than the present.

Two benefits of the choke: (1) I was able to get 10A of filament return
current completely off the chassis; and (2) more importantly, there's enough
ESR in the choke to drop the filament voltage from 5.5V down to 5.0 VAC,
right on target for an 8877.

Paul, W9AC