Re: [Amps] Tube Cooling..

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tube Cooling..
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 05:32:11 -0500
On 11/25/2010 12:52 AM, Bill, W6WRT wrote:
> [...]
There are several tubes that are designed to have air blown *down* over
the top seals. . One is the 833 and the other is the Russian GU81M.  The
833 even gives specifications for proper cooling of the top seals with
downward flowing air from a given size nozzle at so many CFM.

These tubes have two sets of specifications. One for no forced air and
one for forced air. Both run considerably more power with forced air,
but a pair of GU81Ms will run about 3KW in contest operation with no
forced air which is considerably beyond their official ratings.  OTOH
their ratings drop off rapidly from 40 meters on up, but they are good
all the way to 6-meters IIRC, just not at 3 KW out.
One ham stated he has been running a pair of the things like this for
over 15 years in contest op.  The nice thing is...no fan noise at all.
You could likely keep your coffee warm and fry breakfast eggs on top of
the cabinet saving time away from the rig during contests.<:-))

I need to find a one or two pair of sockets for the GU81Ms.

73

Roger (K8RI)