[Amps] MOVs

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] MOVs
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 06:06:45 -0800
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 02:20:26 -0500
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] MOVs

Some where around here I think I might still have one of those 50,000
joule MOVs and they are big.  They are mounted on their own aluminum
back plate.  IIRC they are about 2.5 X 3.5 X about 1" thick.

73

Roger (K8RI)

##  IF  I remember correctly, the  MOV's in those  Josyln units  are
aprx 2" square  x   3/4"  thick.   Telco's  used em by the thousands.
The 3 phase ones had 3 x movs and 3 x neons.   The single phase
240/120 v  had  just 2 x movs and 2 x neons.   In all cases, the mov's
are  wired from each hot to neutral.   On a typ 208/120 vac  3 phase
set up... the same  130-140 V rated movs  are used and wired the same
way, hot to neutral.

##  90%  of our telco sites are  208/120 vac.  The small  stuff out in the
field is  240/120 single phase.   The real big offices are all 480/277 vac ..
or  600/ 346 vac.

##  I see home depot, et all  sell smaller versions, designed to connect
to your main 200A  panel, and usually through a 40-60A  breaker position.
The mov's inside em are mot as big as the ones Josyln uses, but are no where
near the price tag either.   Installing a medium to large  one..to your
200A main  panel  is a good idea, and works very well, as a primary
device to protect  most of the transients coming in off the street.   In some
counties/states.  .. [ I believe parts of Florida], insurance co's  will
stipulate
that they must be installed, and functioning at all times.    Insurance co's
were getting weary  of paying out  huge claims  for blown up fridge compressor's
tv's, and everything else in the home.

A good  PI  type  120 vac filter..down stream,  like the better quality  4-6 x
outlet  type box's... we used at work for pc's  etc,  are good too.  These are
the
ones that had the giant torroids and caps in em..making up PI filters  in each
leg.
These also had the usual myriad of big mov's  in em too.

later....  Jim   VE7RF