[Amps] T-T Titan 425 Q's

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] T-T Titan 425 Q's
From: "Bob Arenella" <rja12@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 12:57:51 -0500
Amp newbie here. I recently came into a Titan 425 as part of a larger
purchase. I kept a few items, sold off the rest, and have less than $200
invested in the amp, a MFJ 259 analyzer and an Astron 50 A supply. The owner
told me the amp was only putting out about 50% of legal limit. I figured,
still a good deal, even if the PA's are soft. Turns out, the amp puts out
well in excess of the legal limit :<).

The only issue I see is that the fan doesn't run at low speed. Either the
switch or the buck winding on the xfmr, I guess. Don't see anything zorched
in the RF deck or PS. T-T tells me this amp was built in 1994, and the date
codes on the 3CX800A7's confirm this.

I would like to know if there are any "must do" mods or upgrades for this
amp? T-T tells me that the padder cap problem was in the very early versions
of this amp, and shouldn't be a concern. How 'bout the going on 17 year old
filter caps?

Thanks for your opinions!

73 de bob
n2oam