Re: [Amps] Harris RF110 and RF130 Amplifiers

To: "Peter Hansen" <oz1lpr@hotmail.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Harris RF110 and RF130 Amplifiers
From: "Edward Gable" <EGABLE@Rochester.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 10:24:01 -0500
Hello Peter:  Yes, I'm still in contact with amateurs that are still using
the RF-110 (AM-3924) and variations.  The weak link for amateurs is the 19
band switching output network.  It works fine at 1 kW output, but most
amateurs want to use the power available from the pair of 4CX1500B's to run
much more RF output.  The tank switch and tune/load fixed capacitors are
pretty much at their limit at 1 kW and can get unhappy at higher power.  The
tank is broadband, 2 mHz wide per band at the higher frequencies and can and
should be returned for much better efficiency inside a narrower ham band.
The two 8122's and two 4CX1500B's are often worth more than what a lot of
folks pay for the amps surplus.  Good luck with your project.  Let me know
how you make out.  I have a lot of fond, and some less than fond, memories
on that long and successful product line for Harris/RF.
73,

Ed Gable  K2MP
p/o original RF-110 design team at Harris/RF Communications