Re: [Amps] Restoring DX-100

To: amps <amps@contesting.com>, ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Restoring DX-100
From: Glen Zook <gzook@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 10:11:17 -0800 (PST)
If you are getting almost half of the full legal peak power from a DX-100 on AM
then your are grossly exceeding the specifications of the 6146 final amplifier
tubes.

Although Heath specified an input carrier power of 160 watts for the DX-100,
this is definitely in excess of the RCA specifications for the 6146 or the
6146A/8298.  MAXIMUM input power ICAS to a single 6146 when used for Class "C"
AM phone operation is 67.5 watts and therefore a pair should not exceed 135
watts carrier.  Assuming an efficiency of 60% then you should not see more than
81 watts output for the carrier.  Even at 65% efficiency you should not see
more than just under 88 watts output for the carrier.  Then assuming the 4
times peak power output at 100% modulation, that means that you should not see
more than 324 watts peak output at 60% efficiency or more than 350 watts output
at 65% efficiency.

The life of the 6146 will be greatly extended if you drop the maximum input
power to no more than 120 watts and even more if you drop the input power to
around 100 watts.  This means a carrier output power of 72 watts at 60%
efficiency and 78 watts at 65% efficiency at 120 watts input or 60 watts
carrier output at 100 watts and 65 watts output at 65% efficiency.

Frankly, the station on the other end won't know the difference at 120 watts
input and probably won't know the difference at 100 watts input.  However, the
final amplifier tubes definitely will be able to tell and the life of the final
tubes will be much longer.

The Johnson Viking II is one of the few transmitters that the manufacturer
actually recognized the limitations of the 6146 and that transmitter is spec'd
at 135 watts maximum input for AM.

As for "reforming" the electrolytic capacitors:  New capacitors are VERY cheap
and I recommend replacing the original capacitors rather than trying to
"reform" them.  Sometimes the "reformed" capacitors turn out fine.  However, in
the majority of cases if they do "reform" the life expectancy is not that
great.  Therefore, to be on the "safe side", I recommend replacing the
capacitors.

Also, on the "safety" side, the 2-wire power cord needs to be replaced with a
3-wire cord and a fuse needs to be added in the "hot" (black wire) side of
power cord.  If you want to drill a hole in the back chassis then you can even
use one of these fuse holders from Radio Shack:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062230

If you don't want to drill a hole, then use one of these

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062257

Of course, the same fuse holders are available from numerous places, I have
just given Radio Shack as a potential source.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com