Re: [Amps] Fireing up a old Tl922 amplifier.

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Fireing up a old Tl922 amplifier.
From: Vic Rosenthal <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 07:40:27 -0800
I don't think you need anywhere near as much delay either for the filament or
the plate of
3-500Z's.

All you need to do for the filament is limit the inrush current while it's
cold. A
half-second should be more than enough for this.

It might be possible to increase tube life by gently ramping up the filament
voltage over
a period of several seconds -- I recall manually turning up a filament rheostat
on a 1935
WE BC transmitter many years ago! -- but a simple soft-start doesn't do this.

And the HV delay is needed only to protect the rectifiers while the capacitors
charge. A
few cycles of AC is enough.

I've used 10 or 20 ohms series resistance in soft-start circuits for 3-500Z
amplifiers
(common to plate and filament supplies). If the delay is short, a lower wattage
resistor
(25 watts) can be used. This is fine unless the relay fails to close!