Re: [Amps] OM3500A

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] OM3500A
From: "Roger (Sub1)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 00:35:47 -0500
>   >>  Running the OM3500A at US legal limit of 1.5kw would mean that the
>   >>  GU78B would last my lifetime, if not any ham's lifetime.
>
> I suspect one would be ahead to purchase the OM2500A since is has the
> same automatic controls and is better matched to US power limits.
>
>> Shipping isn't all that bad when you consider the price of the amps,
>> or rather what I assume would be the price of the amp in USD. They
>> appeared to have no interest in providing a price, or actual
>> information on the amps, hence I took it to mean they had no interest
>> in selling one to any one in the US. IOW not a real good attitude
>> toward selling to any one from the US.
> I think the issue is more that the US amplifier approval process is
> something that OM Power feels incapable of handling from their end
> and the cost/effort is essentially prohibitive for a distributor in
> the US.  However, since an individual amateur is permitted to build
> or modify Q=1 of any amplifier per year,
No limit any more, but I doubt any one has pushed the limits of
reasonableness.
You may also directly import an amp as long as it's not for resale.
>   I suspect an individual
> could legally import ONE of any amplifier for personal use (as far
> as I know that's the route used with Emtron).
It is and I did.
> Through the cooperation between microHAM and OM Power (much of the
> control firmware was designed by microHAM), I may have some contacts
> with OM Power.
I had never heard of Microham before, but it appears they and not US
based so that would not be a problem for OM.
>    If anyone has a serious interest, contact me directly
> (w4tv@subich.com) and I will make inquiries.  Note - Slovak export
> (and banking) laws are still not up to the standards in the rest of
> the EU so there is no certainty that shipment can be arranged outside
> the EU.
Yes, they do ship outside the EU. I don't know if they are members of the EU
>   >  Based on charges from China and Australia, the whole package on
>   >  the OM3500A which is far less distance, should be less than $500.
>
>   From experience, a 50 kg shipment from OM will run in the $350 range
> with the correct freight forwarder and UPS.  With the proper customs
> declaration there should be no duty - just a nominal processing and
> filing fee.
Due to the devaluation of the USD (politely called QE2), imports from
almost any country have gotten a bit pricier over the last six months.
> 73,
>
>      ... Joe, W4TV

Although, Alek has a point about the tubes and their availability.  I
said earlier that was not a concern for me, but if there is a negative
aspect to the amps it is the tubes they are using.  Currently "over
there" they are plentiful.  From what I can find, NOS are also still
plentiful, but new?  Delivery is questionable, even though I understand
many of them are still listed as being in production (a statement I can
not verify).  I am sure the 4CX1600B is no longer available.  I would be
more comfortable with different tubes.

I'm still looking at the Emtron DX-2v for 6-meters which is about 45.5Kg
as is the DX-2sp while the DX-3sp is about 60 Kg.  With value of the
dollar the 6-meter amp is about as much as the HF amp was.

73

Roger (K8RI)

> On 1/26/2011 10:13 PM, Roger (Sub1) wrote:
>> On 1/26/2011 8:31 PM, n8de@thepoint.net wrote:
>>> Alek,
>>> Running the OM3500A at US legal limit of 1.5kw would mean that the
>>> GU78B would last my lifetime, if not any ham's lifetime.
>>>
>>> I prefer the design and layout to any other currently available amp in
>>> this 'power range'.
>>>
>>> As for Roger's concern about 'not being sold in USA' .. that is quite
>>> true, but they are available to any US ham.  Just purchase one from
>>> the factory and pay the exhorbitant shipping charges. ... or .... go
>>> there and bring one back!
>>>
>> Shipping isn't all that bad when you consider the price of the amps, or
>> rather what I assume would be the price of the amp in USD. They appeared
>> to have no interest in providing a price, or actual information on the
>> amps, hence I took it to mean they had no interest in selling one to any
>> one in the US. IOW not a real good attitude toward selling to any one
>> from the US.
>>
>> Based on charges from China and Australia, the whole package on the
>> OM3500A which is far less distance, should be less than $500.
>> OTOH Amateur Radio equipment from Australia comes with customs fees. (If
>> you get one make sure it is marked as such) What fees would be on the
>> OM3500, I don't know.  Shipping of the DX-2sp *was* around $450 and a
>> bit over $500 for the DX-3sp..
>>
>> 73
>>
>> Roger (K8RI)
>>> 73
>>> Don
>>> N8DE
>>>
>>> Alek said:
>>> You're obviously not worried about obsolete tubes then?
>>>
>>> I have a Emtron DX-2 which runs the Svetlana 4CX1600B (GU91B). It is
>>> unobtainium.
>>>
>>> The GU78 and GU84B have all but gone the same way.
>>>
>>> I would stay clear of those tubes unless you stock up with a few
>>> spares when you buy the
>>> amp. In a few short years, you will NOT be able to find a spare for
>>> love or money.
>>>
>>> 73, Alek
>>> VK6APK
>>>

>>> At 07:02 AM 27/01/2011, n8de@thepoint.net wrote:

>>> I'd get an OM Power 3500A .... no question about it.
>>> 73
>>> Don