Re: [Amps] Alpha 76CA Operation

To: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>, "VO1HP" <fdavis@nfld.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 76CA Operation
From: "Jeff Blaine" <keepwalking188@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 12:00:11 -0600
Frank,

I put an 76pa into service a couple of months ago - it also had some flaky
characteristics similar to what you mention.  Turns out
it was what looked like cold and/or missing solder on some of the braid
connections at the bandswitch and also at the tube anode
caps.

Carl actually was the guy who suggested I look for it.  Never seen it before
myself.  But in closer checking, there were 2 spots on
the bandswitch soldering contacts and two of the 3 anode plate caps which
looked void of solder.

Never did figure out what caused the condition - but cleaning and resoldering
these contacts put the amps performance back on track.
It's been pushing out sweet watts since then with no complaints at all.

73, Jeff ACØC
www.ac0c.com