Re: [Amps] H i Power and hearing footsteps

To: Gary Smith <wa6fgi@sbcglobal.net>, "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] H i Power and hearing footsteps
From: "Fuqua, Bill L" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 13:17:26 -0500
   In the old days stock car drivers usually got their nick names not from
their successes but from their mistakes. I knew a guy called Fly Wheel McGuire
in Nashville. He got the great idea that if he used a heavier flywheel he would
be able to beat the other cars. It was the opposite. He got his nickname from
the other drivers. Another was Stroker McGurt. He bored and stroked his engines
until the cylinder walls were so thin that his engine blew up.  Well in racing
that last 1 percent of power counts but in radio it is not worth pushing all
and manybe a little more from an amplifier because those last few watts may end
up costing a great deal for a fraction of a dB increase in output.  Another
point, when you do push it just that little bit, it produces loads of splatter
that affects the hams around your frequency, just like flying engine parts, and
oil on the track may affect other racers.

73
Bill wa4lav