Re: [Amps] New solid state kid on the block

To: Manfred Mornhinweg <mmornhin@gmx.net>, "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] New solid state kid on the block
From: "Fuqua, Bill L" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 10:05:49 -0500
Looking at the data sheet. It is intended for class c operation. If you are
going to operate it in AB you will need one heck of a heat sink and low thermal
resistance to the heat sink.
But there is one thing that confuses me.

Case Temperature 63°C, 1250 W CW, 100 mA, 230 MHz @ RθJC 0.15 °C/W
Ok I understand 1250 Watts output CW with case temperature of 63 degrees.
 What is the 100mA about?

In class AB the effeciency will be much lower and you would be talking about
much less output also it may be very nonlinear and require lots of negative
feedback
thus reducing its gain further.  In class C at a glance it seems to have fairly
good gain.

73
Bill wa4lav