[Amps] door knob capacitors

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] door knob capacitors
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 10:58:39 -0600
You don't want to use doorknobs as loading caps especially on 160.
they won't handle the current.  Learned that the hard way.

When I knew less than I do now (which still isn't much) I used a
Centralab doorknob as a loading cap, not knowing that the current on
160 would kill it.  Life was good...for a while.  then one night
working a guy on 1880 running around 300 w. carrier, the linearity
went south--the trapezoid had that rounded off look you get when the

Use a 1 mhz transmitting mica or two that can handle a few amps at 4 or 5 KV.

73

Rob
K5UJ