[Amps] 4-1000 Bias

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 4-1000 Bias
From: "Wayne Rogers" <n1wr@chesapeake.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 12:38:36 -0500
I have a 4-1000 g-g homebrew amp.  It was designed 4000 volts on the plate.
My new supply is 5500 volts under load.

With the grid at ground potential and at 4000 volts on the plate the no
signal grid current is 40 mA. and the plate current is 170 mA, which seems
right.

At 5500 volts on the plate and the grid at ground potential Ig is 80 mA. and
Ip is 300 mA. which seems a bit high. My plan is to add bias to the grid.
How do I determine what the correct operating point is for grounded grid?
At 300 mA. I'm dissipating .3 X 5500 = 1650 watts which is way over the
tubes rating.

Thanks,  Wayne N1WR