Re: [Amps] New Alpha 8410 photos

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] New Alpha 8410 photos
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 12:28:03 -0500
> That blower is an interesting design, Damon - drawing across wide
> opening inside the amplifier.

Alpha is using a high-volume, low-velocity blower design in the 8410.
That's a great way to cool a pair of ceramic tubes but I'm not sure if that
would add any contribution to lower noise with a single tube design - like
the 9500.

I also like seeing the RJ1A/HC-1/GH1 style T/R vacuum relay in the latest
8410.  For a while, I think they were experimenting with the Jennings RF1D
style cylindrical vacuum relays.  My Alpha 70V uses one of those and even
when taking into account for the mounting arrangement, it's significantly
louder than the RJ1A.  In the link below, you can see one of the RF1D style
relays being used in an early 8410.  Scroll down just a bit.  It's the first
inside view.

http://www.rfconcepts.com/s.nl/it.A/id.3884/.f

Paul, W9AC