Re: [Amps] New Alpha 8410 photos

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] New Alpha 8410 photos
From: "Roger (sub1)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 14:10:34 -0500
On 3/6/2011 12:28 PM, Paul Christensen wrote:
>> That blower is an interesting design, Damon - drawing across wide
>> opening inside the amplifier.
> Alpha is using a high-volume, low-velocity blower design in the 8410.
> That's a great way to cool a pair of ceramic tubes but I'm not sure if that
> would add any contribution to lower noise with a single tube design - like
> the 9500.

It depends a lot of the blower/fan design, but *generally* the high RPM
and velocity make much more noise than low velocity, high volume.  As a
side benefit, you collect less dust with the lower velocity as well.  As
an example, look at today's high powered computers.   I have 6 120mm
high volume, low velocity fans on a full size tower case that make far
less noise than an old single 80 or 90 mm fan. Those old fans were
"loud". Although still great dust (and cat hair) collectors the big
computers do not load up with dust like the older ones did, or at least
not as quickly.

73

Roger (K8RI)
<snip>