Re: [Amps] Homebrew is back..

To: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Homebrew is back..
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 09:19:24 -0400
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
To: <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 7:17 AM
Subject: [Amps] Homebrew is back..

> Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 14:38:12 -0500
> From: "Diane & Edward Swynar" <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
> Subject: Re: [Amps] Homebrew  is back..
>
> Hi Roger et al,
>
> I use a pair of 813s in parallel grounded-grid service here in my
> homebrewed
> KW amplifier, and---I'm blushing as I type this!---but I have NEVER EVER
> purchased any of the jugs that are in it, or the spares that I have here,
> brand new...
>
> They are all either Hamfest finds, or freebies from friends.
>
> Life's far too short to pay-off a retiree's ransom for new & exotic
> tubes---and I have yet to hear anyone at the DX end of my QSOs asking me
> (or
> expressing any care whatsoever) which tube(s) I might be using! Hi Hi
>
> ~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ
>
> &&&  813`s  are a half decent tube....but not in the same league as a
> YC-156, YU-148
> or 3CX-3000A7    A single YC-156 = 14 x 813`s    A YU-148 = 20 x
> 813`s.....and yes,
> the the DX station will hear the difference.   The IMD  on the 813 and
> 4-1000  is nothing to write home
> about...and ditto with russian tetrodes.

The 813 is in the mid -30's in GG, which is better than many xcvrs and
certainly acceptable. Same with a 4X1 if run sanely.

The 813 is still a hamfest $5-10 out of the carton. Just pass on ones with
filament pieces rolling around inside and discolored glass. Many Ive picked
up that way that look new but just a bit scratched from loose storage work
as new at RF.

With 4 in parallel use a vacuum variable, the 5KV 365pf that are so common
are fine, or tap the 10M coil in the center with the Tune cap which gives a
4X stepup for the required C. Do not add a seperate L coil.

The last 4x 813 amp I built used the vacuum variable with the tap and it ran
full power even at the high end of 10M.  Keep the layout compact, and with
minimum length copper strap leads. A rats nest of wire wont cut it at 10M.

Carl
KM1H

 The folks with the infamous 4CX-1600B  in their Ten tec`s are