Re: [Amps] what is a 4 wire 240VAC service?

To: <ve3zi@rac.ca>, "Amps" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] what is a 4 wire 240VAC service?
From: "Mark Robinson" <markrob@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 22:51:41 -0400
It is a lot safer. They use isolation transformers and 115V on building
sites in the UK.

UK code will not allow light switches in a bathroom. It either has to be a
string pull switch in the bathroom or a wall switch on the wall outside the
bathroom. There are no 240V power sockets allowed in the bathroom apart from
transformer isolated razor outlets.

Lots of people in the UK die using 240V electric mowers and cutters outside.
It isn't 120 0 120 like here. It is 240Vrms relative to the Neutral/Ground
potential. That is 660V pk to pk relative to ground. You take a shock and it
really hurts if it doesn't kill you.

Mark N1UK G3ZZM