Re: [Amps] AN762 Bias Question

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] AN762 Bias Question
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq72@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 17:20:35 +0100
I suspect the use of 'bias' in two different contexts might be muddying
the waters.

The 100mA per device is the standing or quiescent current the
transistors should draw from the 12V supply in order to give linear
operation to low powers. Quiescent current is often referred to as bias
current, which can be confusing.

The 900mA bias current you calculated is the current the base bias
supply needs to be able to deliver into the bases of the transistors
when they are running at full tilt. The current drawn by the bases will
vary according to the collector current, so will vary with power level.

Steve