Re: [Amps] Vacuum Packaging, storage for Glass tubes

To: "'Fuqua, Bill L'" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Vacuum Packaging, storage for Glass tubes
From: "Jim Garland" <4cx250b@muohio.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 06:24:26 -0600
Your explanation about helium defusing because it is inert is correct, and I
should have mentioned that. However, the diffusion is also because the atoms
are so small, which is why neon, argon, and krypton, also inert, don't
diffuse through glsss.

Interesing story about the lamps.
Jim

The professor as
> homework wanted the
> students to explain what they saw. He had his own somwhat convoluted
explaination of
> what had happened.
>     I told the student that it was impossible that the primary lamp got
dimmer, it should have
> gotten brighter.
> The girl did her homework assignment and got a ZERO.
> I went to the guy who set up the demos and had him show it to me. And
indeed it appeared
> that the primary
> lamp got dimmer. Then I asked the guy to put a card board box over the
secondary's lamp.
> And we did it again.
> Guess what, the primary lamp got brighter.  The students' eyes read
adjusted to the very
> bright secondary lamp
> when it came on and it made the primary's lamp appear to get dimmer.
>    The older professor refused to change the girls grade. She went on to
med school and is
> now a doctor and A's in all
> her classes except one, Physics.
>   73