Re: [Amps] 3 phase transformer

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3 phase transformer
From: jeff millar <jeff@wa1hco.net>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 01:16:29 -0400
If you parallel all the windings, the magnetic fields all have the same
polarity
and block each other. It's as if you cut the loop formed by the laminations.

I think what you want to do is to apply power to the two outer primary windings
and leave the middle windings disconnected.  This forces all the flux through
the middle laminations.  Then you can take the output from the two outer
secondaries.  Just leave the middle disconnected.

I did some experiments with this on a 3 phase 48V transformer and it appeared
work well.  This should work with any combination of series or parallel on
primary and secondary...but you have to consider voltage breakdown.

jeff, wa1hco