Re: [Amps] [Bulk] Re: Picture tubes

To: Roger (sub1) <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] [Bulk] Re: Picture tubes
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 18:56:52 -0400
On May 11, 2011, at 6:55 PM, Roger (sub1) wrote:

> So did some of the older B&W sets.  Those old tube sets were real power
> hogs and many of the power transformers were larger than the one in my HT32.
> I used the whole PS out of one...or in one...and built a 90 watt out cW
> rig right on the chassis.  Big and ugly, but it worked.

I have a 50 watt (output) 6146 "Novice" transmitter that uses the transformer
out of a 17" Emerson Black and White TV. The TV originally had about 17 tubes.
It has no trouble at all producing about 750 volts for the 6146 plate circuit.

The transformer must be nearly 50 years old at this point.

Web: http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901