Re: [Amps] Filament transformer needed

To: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>, "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Filament transformer needed
From: Bill Fuqua <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 11:26:10 -0400
    Several times over the years I needed a special filament transformer.
I used old variac cores from ones that had broken brushes or some burnt
turns on the
ends.
    Wrap the old core with some Teflon plumbing tape to insulate it and use
some well insulated wire as a secondary and wrap it thru the core.
Make a few turns to establish the volts per turn using an AC voltmeter and then
wind your secondary. They range from .5 V/turn to around .25V/turn.
    If you have a large core you can place spacers on it and wind your
low capacitance secondary. That way if you are operating GG you don't need a
high current choke.

73
Bill wa4lav