Re: [Amps] Meter issue

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Meter issue
From: Vic K2VCO <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 19:05:05 -0700
Recently, someone explained that diodes alone don't protect meters. The 0.6v
across the
diode is enough to seriously damage many meters.

I found out the hard way the other day when I was trying to fix something that
wasn't
broke and accidentally shorted the screen terminal of a tube to ground. The
screen meter
was destroyed, despite the back-to-back diodes.

Here is the original discussion by W6WRT and GM3SEK -- needless to say I'm
going to follow
their advice:

On 5/27/2011 6:48 PM, Mitch Cox wrote:
> BTW, those diodes need to be much larger than 1N4004's.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/