Re: [Amps] Alpha 86 or Ten Tec Titan 425.....and why??

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 86 or Ten Tec Titan 425.....and why??
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 12:22:23 -0500
I don't know much about those amps except I think both are ceramic
tube amps.  If they have a lot of gain (requiring very low drive) then
AM operating may be touchy depending on the exciter.  You may find
yourself having to continually watch the exciter output level to keep
it down to just a few watts.  Another thing to check is the continuous
current rating for the B+ supply transformer.  It is probably okay but
with some amps, that can be a power limiting factor for long
transmissions.   Some exciters transmit a high power spike on tx just
before settling down to the set few watts of drive.  With some of the
ceramic tube amps this can make them fault into standby.  If you are
just beginning to get in to AM you might find it better in the long
run to work on a plate modulated rig before you invest a lot in an
exciter amp type of setup.  There are exceptions like that BTI amp
that used a pair of 3-1000s.  That was probably a great AM amp hi hi.

73

Rob
K5UJ