Re: [Amps] RF choke switching

To: Amps reflector <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] RF choke switching
From: Vic K2VCO <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 08:39:35 -0700
Most ham amplifiers use 200 uh chokes for all bands. It's hard to make a 200 uh
choke that
won't have resonances near a ham band when WARC bands are included. But this
choke only
has 2.26K of reactance on 1.8 mHz, which is comparable to the load impedance of
the tube.
As a result, the choke becomes part of the tank circuit -- a low-Q part that
dissipates
power. I suspect that this is one of the reasons efficiency on 160 meters is
often lower
than other bands (all of my amplifiers seem to put out the most power on 40
meters).

Even a 100 uh choke has 8.8K reactance on 20 meters. And it's much easier to
make one
without resonances below 30 mHz.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA