[Amps] Ripple, CW, SSB and linear amplifiers

To: Vic K2VCO <vic@rakefet.com>, Paul Kraemer <elespe@lisco.com>
Subject: [Amps] Ripple, CW, SSB and linear amplifiers
From: "Fuqua, Bill L" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 14:26:13 -0400
There is a reason why plate modulated amplifiers operate in Class C or E modes.
That is because in linear modes  do not produce modulate linearly. That is to
say
if you double the plate voltage the RF voltage peaks are not doubled and the
PEP power is not
X4.  This is one reason why some amplifiers like the Heathkit Compact KW can
work well
in SSB or CW (running AB2) with one side of series wired filaments grounded and
12.6 volts
applied to the other side of the filaments/cathodes.
  The end result is that 6 percent ripple on the plate if you are operating in
class AB2 not C does not
turn out to be 6% in the modulated carrier. It is somewhat less.
   The other thing is that most of the time the average current on the power
supply in SSB will be
much less than that in CW so the ripple will be less there as well.
   The ripple will, in SSB, appear to be a modulation on the modulation and not
a hum. This is not
so noticable, this was observed in the very early days when the filter chokes
for AM radios was also
the Magnet for the Speaker. All the ripple current flowed thru the filter
choke. It it did modulate the
audio somewhat but was not so noticable.
  You will probably find many operating SSB have more full load CW ripple that
6%. But no one really notices
unless you apply a pure tone and there is a good S/R ratio on the receving end.
  In the case of the cathode 60Hz modulaton in the Heathkit amplifier the
degree of modulation is actually
realated to the IMD, which is 30db or more down to start with and that is with
equal amplitude signals.
Whe one is 1/10 less than the other it is much further down.

73
Bill wa4lav