Re: [Amps] What's wrong here- dropping resistor for DC meter?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] What's wrong here- dropping resistor for DC meter?
From: "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 22:32:09 +0100
On 07/ 9/11 02:56 PM, k7fm wrote:

> Or, you can do like we do in airplanes for our compasses and make a meter
> correction chart placed next to the meter.  They are so damned important in
> airplanes that I just got an annual inspection and the inspector noted that
> I needed a compass correction card in plain view even though my compass
> reads correctly all 360 degrees.  Rules are rules.
>
> 73,  Colin  K7FM

But it should not be necessary on a volt meter. If the scale is significantly
non-linear, something is very wrong.

It's a bit different with for example a power meter which covers a wide range
of
frequencies. Then some sort of correction chart is justified, but not on a volt
meter. I suspect the movement is faulty, or a diode or other non-linear device
is fitted in there to protect meter in some way.