Re: [Amps] GS35b FWB issue

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] GS35b FWB issue
From: "Randy S." <rj3819@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 15:06:34 -0700 (PDT)
Hi guys ...

Was reading thru the posts on this ..

For what this is worth ...

Seems like those caps may have lost
their voltage rating .. perhaps related to the
lightning strike?

Anyways...

Heres something I had happen .. might help .. might not ..
But ordered a bunch of 330ufd / 400 WVDC caps off ebay ..

With just an ohm meter .. they seem to check good .. and
capacity wise ok ..  BUT .. then I put together a little setup
with my oscope .. power supply and resistor ..

Calculated the approximate charge time ..

and fired them up one at a time watching the scope and
making sure the charge time was within a certain window.
Well .. there was one that would charge at the same rate
as the others ... but it would only charge to about 15 VDC and
that was it ... flat line ...  so thats why I wonder if something
happened to the voltage ratings?

Perhaps you could variac that thing up slowly with a fuse that would
blow before the FWB and keep checking the voltage across the caps
as you work your way up??

Randy - N2CUA