Re: [Amps] New NXP BLF578XR 1200W LDMOS FET is "indestructible"

To: Baruch Zilbershatz <4z4rb@bezeqint.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] New NXP BLF578XR 1200W LDMOS FET is "indestructible"
From: Mike Tubby <mike@tubby.org>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 15:14:44 +0100
We (Steve G8GSQ) and myself are in the process of putting together a 2m
amplifier with two BLF578 devices (not 578XR) at the moment.

Big heatsink = 350mm (L) x 250mm (W) x 80mm (H) and two copper spreader
plates 95mm x 125mm x 9mm machined down from copper bar (4" x 5.5" x
3/8") by Simon M0SKC.

The hardest part was getting the copper bar and heatsink flat!  Simon
had to make several tools for his Bridgeport milling machine to get a
decent level of flatness and to cut the 1.4mm slot in which the device
sits, this was then machined down to about 4 thou and then polished with
toothpaste and jewlers rouge and the devices "lapped in".  That and a
very fine (thin) layer of Arctic Silver heatsink paste does the job...
its really just attention to detail...  (reads from Zen and the art of
motorcycle maintenance)...

Remember that an amp built with these devices should have an efficiency
of around 71-72% so at 1KW DC input you'll have something like 720W of
RF output and 280W of heat output, or in our case double that, but a big
heat sink, good copper spreader and excellent device junction and you're
okay!

Mike