Re: [Amps] Alpha 76a

To: "Roger" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 76a
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 09:09:13 -0400
The 76 was a limited run of under 200.

The 76A is a 2 holer but a mod kit was available to upgrade to 3 tubes.

The 76CAis a 3 holer and  had a Hypersil transformer for heavy duty and
often went to commercial and government customers includin embassies.

The 76PA was also a 3 holer with the EI laminations and was the standard
"ham" amp. Many of those have been upgraded.

The transformer in Pats amp is the plain old standard one, EI laminations
are only available in certain sizes and heavy duty would only increase the
thickness of the stack and windings. Mine has the same part # with an 0378
date stamp.
BTC is Berkshire Transformer of CT and was given as a source for many years
in QST and Handbooks. National Radio bought a lot from them.

All 76 models used 8874's.

Carl
KM1H