Re: [Amps] Cooling Fan

To: "Amps reflector" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Cooling Fan
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 15:51:07 -0400
David,

Since you know the mounting centers, the only remaining items are: (1) CFM
rating; and (2) direction of rotation relative to the hub (i.e., intake or
output over struts).  You can determine the rotation by either looking for
an embossed air-flow arrow on the assembly or briefly powering the fan to
determine this.  The noise figure is generally a function of the CFM/RPM
rating and whether the fan uses sleeve or ball bearings.  Sleeve bearing
fans generally have lower noise ratings.

You may want to call IMC and ask for the fan's CFM rating as the original
design data may have been archived long ago.  With that information, you can
then stick with one of theirs or look to other OEMs like Papst, or the
hundreds of Asian fans now available with low pricing.

http://www.imc-magnetics.com/tube-axial_fans.html

Paul, W9AC