Re: [Amps] Hi pot test - normal leakage current of vacuum cap

To: Dan Hearn <n5ardxcc@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Hi pot test - normal leakage current of vacuum cap
From: LB3HC <rezycle.bin@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 21:51:18 +0200
Looks like mine behaves similar to your number 4. Several sources state that
the clunks are OK to get rid of impurities as long as there is not too many
clunks heard. Another cap of similar type, however with less vacuum chamber
"volume", also clunked when hipot tested, but reads zero leakage current at
full 16 kV. This leads me to believe that I have a bad cap. However, does it
actually matter with a small current? It will not arc it looks like. If we
assume the leakage current is non reactive, then 10KV*50uA will dissipate 0,5W.
Hardly a problem. The RMS voltage will not be near 10KV when run on my GS35B
design. OR: will there be problems down the road with a leaky vaccum cap?

LB3HC