Re: [Amps] Photos posted of high voltage test setup of a YC-176

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Photos posted of high voltage test setup of a YC-176
From: gdaught6@stanford.edu
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 09:27:15 -0700
LB3HC wrote...

<snip>

>  I assume I have a good tube when it shows that low leakage at 16KV (DC). Any
> opinions on that?

That's assuming a bit too much.  I'd say it means you have a good VACUUM, but:

the filament might be open, or have low emission

the grid might be damaged from a previous overcurrent event(s).

the grid might be shorted to the filament.

But, so far, it looks like you might have a good tube.

The next thing I'd do is test interelectrode leakage between the other
elements.

Then, I'd see if the filament works, i.e. draws the correct current at the
correct
voltage.  If you heat the filament for more than just a few seconds, be sure to
provide
some cooling air.

Good luck es 73,

George T Daughters, K6GT