Re: [Amps] What type of amplifier is best

To: <sre.1966@gmail.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] What type of amplifier is best
From: Charles Harpole <k4vud@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 18:39:43 +0000
Hey Shon,   As an owner or former owner of Heath SB-220 and SB-230, Henry floor
model 2K, TL-922, National NC-2000, Alpha 76A, Alpha 76PAC, two Alpha 87a,
Titan One, Dentron DTR-2000, three ICOM IC-2KL, and Collins 500 watt version, I
can speak with some awareness of amps....hi....

Fact #1 is to get an amp that has either the 8877 tube or the 3-500Z because
these tubes appear to have a long future availability due to continued
production or so many held as spares.  Avoid the other tubes unless u can get
spares yourself and hold them.

Fact #2 is selecting a key-down amp for which Alphas are known for.  I do not
recommend the 87a as being too automatic and quirky but any any of the others
is close to the best one can buy.   True as new or used.  All amps need
watching keeping the grid current down and they may last forever.

Fact #3 is to decide on tube or solid state.  The Tokyo HiPower units, for
example, are quite promising solid state which offers some advantages which u
can see.  An amp which matches your exciter could be a plus like Yaesu or ICOM
units.  ALL solid state amps must have a following antenna tuner, hopefully
automatic.  And because u have already automated your antenna tuning, perhaps
that will help u make a decision.

>From you, I would love to know if the MFJ-998 automatic antenna tuner sold as
>a 1.5 KW unit will actually handle that power and under less than ideal
>situations.  Please tell me.

Used amp notes.... Henry s are very well made but their p.s. tend not to
support what you need.  Any Alpha as noted above are dependable year in and
out.

Good luck and as always, Life Is Too Short for QRP....  73,

Charles Harpole k4vud@hotmail.com