[Amps] (no subject)

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] (no subject)
From: "Dave" <dave@g8kbv.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 21:55:28 -0000
Hi Roger.

Well, I work in EMC for my sin's, and two leading automotive test houses
are our customers.

Though they have many kW of power to play with for testing (that I among
others are responsible to keep going) that uses external antennas and a
semi-anechoic chamber for the whole vehicle test.

But...  Though they also do tests with vehicle mounted antennas, they do
not use much more than a couple of hundred watts at most.

As to ...

"I don't think" there's any thing in the cars that will be directly
affected by a 50 MHz signal, but from sheer strength and rectification it
could do all sorts of things.  OTOH I'm not at all familiar with what
cars you have "over there" but I understand the big cars are quite
popular.

(As for 60s cadi's.  No computer controled systems to mess with, so not
an issue.)

Well, we have most the same cars (but with decent suspension and engines
that don't need an oilfield to run them, well, mostly...)

However, modern cars are riddled with computers, ranging from the
security system, to several dedicated to running the mehcanicals.   Even
small "shopping trolly" cars are highly computerised, relying on the
electronics to be safe (ABS, Stability control etc) and economical (60MPG
easy) while also suprisingly lively (0 .. 60 times that a few years back,
were sports car performance!)   Also to meet environmental regulations
(exhaust emissions, the catalysts fitted, need very stringent control of
the engine combustion parameters to work as needed.)

As a result of my "day job", I would not be happy at all to ride in a
modern vehicle with a HF, 6m, 2m or whatever radio in, and a PA that ran
over 250W out to a vehicle mounted antenna, of any type.  There is just
too much that "could" be affected to ruin your day.  At best just causing
a warning light to latch on (that could cost many ten's of $'s to reset
by a dealer) the indicators to flash at the wrong speed, a wiper to wipe
without your command, or at worst, the ABS system not working when you
most want it.   Heck, there is even electronicaly controled power
steering these days.  Would you want that to "go funny" on you at speed?

Seriously, you are playing not only with your life, but those of other
road users arround you.

For a static (parked up) car/van/truck etc, then run all the power you
want, if you can keep the engine running and the electrical system happy
to keep feeding you the DC power you need.

Remember, modern vehicles are not just a metal box with seats, 4 wheels
and an engine.  They more resemble a computer network, powered by a local
engine-gen set, with miriads of controls and systems that all need to
work well together to stay safe.

I have seen what can happen, as a result of an EMC initiated ECU crash.
In that case, the (prototype) vehicle was still strapped down to the
rolling road, but it still made heck of a mess....

The 147MHz emissions issue is something else.  Again, vehicles are
rigourousely tested for spurious emissions.  If it's one particular
make/model of vehicle that is the culprit, and if your 2m band is
"protected", plus you can legally operate radio in your car while driving
(insurance issues, driving without due care and all that) then lodge a
complaint with the FCC or whoever.

Lastly, please remember, as a driver your "primary job" is to safely
drive the vehicle, observing road law etc.   Anything else, is secondary,
and some insurance companies might not be happy, "IF" something bad were
to happen, while you were working 6m DX with over 500W out!...

Take care, apply common sense, please.

73

Dave B. (G0WBX/G8KBV)

Been doing mobile Ham stuff, for at least 30 years, QRP and QRO, FM, SSB
etc.  Currently 50W on 2m and 70cms to a dual band stubby on top of a
Mazda 6 estate (at least three embedded computers, just for the engine!)
no problems.    100W+ to a "tank whip" on the side of a 200TDi Landrover,
no possible issues, as no ECU!

I was also the driver of (AFIK) the only successful EME mobile QSO so
far.   Look up "G8MBI" for info.  Absolutely no chance of any own vehicle
EMC issues (susceptability) in that case.