Re: [Amps] best deal for Mallory caps?

To: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] best deal for Mallory caps?
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 10:42:28 -0500
> Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 09:17:14 -0800
> From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
> Subject: Re: [Amps] best deal for Mallory caps?
>

> On 11/23/2011 12:53 PM, Pete Soper wrote:
>> I need several replacement caps for my Ten-Tec Titan 725, Mallory
>> CGS401T450R5L (long/slim 400mf 450vdc/85c). Newark wants $29 each. Is
>> there a better deal available?
>
> Another important point. It's rare for all of the caps in the series
> string to fail.  Only one gone bad will cause lots of hum.  I use my
> trusty Simpson 260 on the middle Ohms range to read charge and discharge
> current as I reverse the leads, and compare each cap to the others.  A
> bad one will have a lot less charge and discharge current.  I have three
> Titans, so I've been through this several times.  Only once when I've
> replaced one has another one come up bad in the string.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

That test is about 1% better than nothing. There are plenty of decent cap
testers on the vintage gear market that will test at rated voltage instead
of a battery. I use a CDE TC-6A but many others are fine for this test
including the military ZM-11A.
Then you wont be surprised by another one soon failing.

Carl
KM1H