[Amps] Silver plated Cu strap sources?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Silver plated Cu strap sources?
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 22:07:13 -0800
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 19:31:55 -0500
From: WB3EXR <wb3exr@triad.rr.com>

Surplus Sales of Nebraska
McMaster Carr

Check with Georgia Copper ... they may be able to outsource the plating,
or tell you where to go (well, to get the copper plated that is!).

73
Rick
NM3G

##  I gave up on sourcing silver plated strap.  My local super-metal market
[franchised across NA] has 3' x 7' sheets  of copper, in thickness's   from
 .005"   right up to .125".
They sheared it in 3' wide strips, to any width I want.  I usually get .035"
thick x 1" wide.  .029 to.035" is thick enough to be strong, but still pliable.
It's also easy to cut with tin snips.  For stuff like 10M tank coils, made from
flat strap, use .048 to .065" .    I cut em to what ever length is required,
then
clean em with jets pad [steel wool soaked in cleaner].

## I punch the holes in the cu strap with  a roper whitney #5 Jr, or my bigger
#16  bench punch.  Ok, to silver plate them, I use the goop from Cool-amp in
Ore.
The finish comes out superb, resistance is zero, and it doesn't tarnish.
 http://www.cool-amp.com/index.html  I use this same stuff on other things,
like relay contacts, contactor's, and buss bar ends  + tubing tank coils.

## I have also gotten the metal store to shear odd sizes too, like 4" x 7" etc.
The stuff I did find on line was  always the wrong width, wrong thickness, etc.

##  Both Kintronics and Cardwell condenser corp  make superb tubing type fixed
coil stock, but be prepared for sticker shock.   The hb coils  made from cu
tubing from
home depot, then silver plated with that same cool amp glop, look really good.

Later... Jim  VE7RF