Re: [Amps] Warm up and on time question...

To: <dave@nk7z.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Warm up and on time question...
From: Charles Harpole <k4vud@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 02:39:52 +0000
I asked Alpha amps tech this question and otherwise the received wisdom over
the years agrees with this.... Turn on is the worst thing that can happen to
something with a filliament, like a light bulb or a tube.  This is why most
tube amps have inrush protection warm up delay, which I call the LONGEST 3
MINUTES IN HAM RADIO. Alpha said that if the off time was to be a day or more,
turn it off, but for a few hours, or even 10 or 12 hours, better to leave it
ON. I am hearing more and more hams worrying about "wearing out" their
gear....Believe me, if you are 60+ years old, the radios will be working just
fine as they place them in your coffin to go to the great beyond with
you.............  or your survivors will be selling them operational to the 8
or 10 hams still under age of 40 by then.  73,

Charles Harpole
k4vud@hotmail.com