Re: [Amps] IMD

To: "'Dan Mills'" <dmills@exponent.myzen.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Amps] IMD
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 22:38:23 -0500

It is not that simple. The leading and trailing edge portions of the square
wave stack up and create an infinite amplitude at each. If the bandwidth was
not limited there would be infinite amplitude at each with no signal in
between.

If you modulate the same transmitter in the AM (double side band) mode it
will reproduce a square wave fairly well.
This is easily seen with a phasing type of transmitter where there is no RF
filter to limit bandwidth. Transmitting both side bands will give a fair
looking square wave provided the audio frequency response is not severely
limited. Switching to SSB the square wave goes away and you get very high
amplitude spikes where the leading and trailing edge of the square wave is
located and little output in the middle.

This is why when you first clip the audio where the sin waves more resemble
a square wave then feed it to the SSB transmitter you will get high spikes
and low average power. Just the opposite of what you are trying to
eliminate.
Of course some moderate clipping and filtering does help a little to
increase average power on SSB but it is much more effective with a double
side band transmitter.

Somewhat effective audio has been done with multiband audio clippers.

73
Gary  K4FMX